The Royal Connection - Duke of York
Listen to audio.
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh K.G., the second son of Queen Victoria graciously consented to become the First Honorary President of the Philatelic Society London in 1890. As a stamp collector he took an active interest in the Society until his death in 1900. He also encouraged his stamp collecting nephew, Prince George, and in 1896 George (by then H.R.H The Duke of York) gave the Society the great honour of becoming its President.
His Majesty King Edward VII gave permission in 1906 for the Society to use the prefix 'Royal'.
Following his ascension in 1910 King George V acted as our Patron, and in 1924 granted the Society permission to use the Royal Arms on its stationery and publications.
Today the Society is honoured by the Patronage of Her Majesty The Queen. Her Majesty graciously allows a selection from The Royal Collection to be displayed at the Society's opening meeting each season.