Tilleard Tea Set
Listen to audio.
The Tilleard Tea Set was a present from the Duke of York (Later King George V) to John Alexander Tilleard, the Honorary Secretary of The Royal Philatelic Society from 1894 to 1913.
The set consists of a silver tea pot, a sugar basin and a milk jug. The Silver marks show that it was made in 1894 by Maxfield & Sons, London. Maxfield & Sons were founded around 1855 and had a factory at Enterprise Works, Arundel Street, Sheffield with London showrooms at 47 Beak Street just off Regent Street W1. Joshua Maxfield was the Senior Partner and in 1894 the company also started making silverware at Upper John Street, London W1. This must have been one of the first silver items made at this location as the maker's mark used was only registered in December 1894.